Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Aftermath...

When they returned, they were asked 4 questions.

1. What was the hardest thing about the day?
- Walking in the rain
- Talking to strangers and asking for help.
- Finding the right bus.
- The hardest thing about the trip was probably patience. Whenever our group was waiting at a bus stop we would keep worrying if we were on time or if we were late. On our first bus, we arrived at the stop the exact time the bus was supposed to be boarding.  We stood there for a couple minutes, constantly worrying that we missed the bus. We decided to wait a couple more minutes before we left, luckily the bus came. This same experience occurred several times in our field trip, but we learned quickly from our mistakes.
- Knowing when to get on a off the bus/MAX
- The hardest part about this field trip was missing buses, which made me go insane. We ran across Portland for our second to last bus, finally we took the MAX and everything solved itself, but it was very frustrating

2. What was the most surprising?
- How big downtown is.
- It was easier than I thought.
- I didn't break down or freak out or get lost.
- The most surprising thing about the trip was how fast time few by and how much we had to run. I personally love to run, especially when time is of the essence, which it was.

3. What part was the most fun?
- Running around downtown.
- Resting to eat.
- The people at Nordstrom's looking at us weird.
- I enjoyed the rush of this trip the most. The way the race was set, a lot of the tasks were around the same area. When we were at the library, we got our tickets ready and stood at the stop, the wait until bus was approximately ten minutes. While we were waiting, Sierra spotted US Bank across the street, we decided to go there so that we could get the points for the bank account application. As a group, we rushed there and immediately ran back after we got all the pamphlets. Once we got back, we saw a pay phone, Jackson and I immediately called you and ran back to the stop. Our group barely made it to the bus stop in time. This fast paced trip was a once in a life time experience.
- Running through the rain
- I enjoyed myself very much. I had been in Portland multiple times, but never saw it the way I saw it Friday. I enjoyed seeing all the wonderful personalities and characters of the people around me. I realized that Portland is a great city full with people not afraid to be different then the normal. In fact, my group even let me pick my own food stand and were more agreeable after everybody ate, and started to let me help them with what they should do next.
- The whole field trip was fun, and I really enjoyed the company and the chemistry we had because it made the work a lot easier. If I had to pick a favorite part though, I would definitely choose getting most of the tasks done and actually making progress.

4. What did you learn?
- How to get lost and find my way back.
- Navigating with technology isn't so bad.
- How to use the bus system better.
- This field trip taught me to use the public as a resource. There were several times in our trip when we weren't sure where to go, or how to get there. To solve that problem we would ask other bus riders, Isaiah was very familiar with this concept, however I don't really enjoy talking to strangers. Using this skill, we were able to locate the MAX, as well as find some locations. Overall this trip has taught me a lot about public transportation and how the public can be used as a great resource.
- How to use public transportation
- I learned that some people can be really demanding, especially when they have assumed authority over you. I learned that the people of Portland are like one big family, and strangers are kind and compassionate. There was one man on the tram that looked homeless to everyone else, but when I talked to him he was kind, loving and pointed us in the right direction. I learned that thorough planning is useless because plans change every minute, and I learned that if something goes wrong, it will be your fault, so make sure nothing goes wrong. I learned that if you try hard enough, people will listen to you and  be more agreeable and less hostile. All in all, I need to thank Mrs. Adams for the wonderful opportunity to learn about real life and the city we live in. I'll never forget this day.
- Being exposed to using only public transportation, I learned that you have to be on time all the time if you want to get to where you're going without being late. This was challenging, and my team missed a few buses and streetcars, but we made it and learned how to navigate through the city.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment